Wednesday 3 June 2020

The Beatles: Revolver (1966)...


Since childhood I have had a love/hate relationship with The Beatles. Growing up we were a Queen household, bordering on obsessive and when anyone would say The Beatles were the best band in the world I would argue vehemently that they were wrong. Queen were obviously the best band in the world. But the child grew and this year I have finally realised how good The Beatles were (still not Queen good). I see there as being two distinct eras of Beatles music, before Revolver, and Revolver and beyond. It is really on this album that they transformed from mainstream pop songs to something more, something experimental and wonderful. In a sense Revolver is like a transition album. We still hear classic pop like 'Got to Get You into My Life', but there's also the wonderful experimental songs such as 'Tomorrow Never Knows'. 'Eleanor Rigby' remains one of my favourite Beatles tracks, and 'Taxman' is a great tune (the bass was later used by The Jam for 'Start'). This is definitely one of their best albums in their catalog.

High Point: Tomorrow Never Knows.

Low Point: For No One.

Legion Rating: 6.78/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment